It matters...That you are connected
Breast Cancer Navigators
The Carol Milgard Breast Center partners closely with the Breast Cancer Navigators of Pierce County in the breast center’s outreach efforts to help medically underserved minority patients receive screening mammograms. The Breast Cancer Navigator Program is managed by CHI Franciscan Health, housed at the Korean Women’s Association, and funded by Susan G. Komen for the Cure – Puget Sound Affiliate.
One-on-one services from the breast cancer navigators include:
- Providing language and culturally appropriate breast health presentations in community settings
- Encouraging women to get mammograms, with as many follow-up contacts as needed
- Scheduling mammograms, taking women to their appointments, and providing interpretation if needed
- Assisting women in applying for medical insurance and/or medical assistance programs
- Helping women access community resources such as food banks, bus passes and grocery vouchers
The program is available to women who are over 40 years old and who don’t have medical insurance or resources to pay medical bills, or who are under 40 years old and discover a lump or a problem with their breast. Women served by the program have been from African American, Cambodian, Korean, Latina, Native Americans, Pacific Islander, Russian, Samoan, Thai, Vietnamese and sexual minority populations.
In addition, the Sisters of Hope provide navigation services for African American patients.