It matters...That you are informed
That you receive expert care
That you are prepared
FaithHealth in Action
Did you know?
- African American women bear a disproportionate burden of breast cancer in Pierce County and are more likely to die at a younger age from breast cancer than any other race of women.
- Breast cancer death rates and premature death from breast cancer were higher in Tacoma, than any other city within Pierce County, despite relatively high rates of mammography screening.
FaithHealth in Action is an outreach and education initiative of the Carol Milgard Breast Center. Through this outreach, the breast center is partnering with local African-American churches to increase awareness about breast and prostate cancer and encourage preventative behaviors. Our goal is to reduce breast and prostate cancer mortality rates among African-American women and men in Tacoma-Pierce County.
Every few years,the breast center partners with the Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department to identify populations in high need of mammography screening and to target our outreach efforts to populations based on geography, race, and age. Studies show that African-American women are being diagnosed with cancer at a later stage and have a higher mortality rate than any other group.1 The breast center and its volunteers also recognize the need for prostate health awareness as there are also many risk factors for prostate cancer that cannot be controlled such as age, race, and family history. About 1 in 7 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer during his their lifetime.2
Churches selected to participate in FaithHealth in Action will be part of a cohort of churches that will design activities around breast and prostate health. The program lasts for one year. Features include:
- Bible bookmarks and other materials to promote health and your church
- Professional training and support for health ministers
- Customized health awareness programming that will complement your church’s calendar
- A pre and post survey of your congregation to measure program success
- Breast screening events at no cost to patients who need financial support
- Sponsorship to support health awareness programming
- Deliverance Bible Church
- Eastside Community Church
- Greater Destiny Church
- Living Word Christian Church
If you are interested in applying for our FaithHealth in Action program, click here.
All applications are due by June 1, 2018. You may scan the completed application (and attachments) and send it electronically to: Queena Tupou or mail to: CMBC, FaithHealth in Action, 4525 South 19th, Tacoma, WA 98405.
If you have any questions in filling out your application or if you want to schedule technical assistance, please contact Queena Tupou at 253.301.6555.
- Located within Tacoma-Pierce County
- Senior pastor who will sign the individualized health action plan
- UBI number and Board of Trustees if available but not required